Boxen #1

Macro photo printed as a large format bitmap made up of 3d boxes in PLA Plastic, printed with Makerbot Replicator 2. Size: 6.5 feet X 2 feet.

Each “pixel” is a 3 dimensional box that tapers into a quadrilateral opening. The corners of the quadrilateral are determined by sampling the grayscale intensity of a grid of 9 subpixels within each box.

Example quadrilaterals, based on grayscale sampling

Inspired by “Bloom” from UC Berkeley.

Veronoi #3

Medium: PLA Plastic, printed on Makerbot Replicator 2 in 8 parts.

Modeled in Rhino3d with Grasshopper. Size of the veronoi part is 20″x20″. This was a super-challenging project to do with an FDM 3d printer, due to the large number of overhangs and small cavities. Each part took 10+ hours to print, but perhaps even more time to finish. I¬†used a large amount of support material that was, at first a friend, then… a nightmare to extract and sand down.

Prototype part, before geometry was smoothed, shows volume of support material.
Support material removed. Rough sanded.
8 parts, primed and medium-sanded.
Original model.

Some learnings:

  • If a space is too small to get your fingers into, it’s going to be a bear to sand. I took a few breaks from this project because finishing was so tedious.
  • This project likely would have been much easier with access to a dual head printer with water-soluble filament or an SLA or SLS printer. When I started this in 2013, I didn’t have any access to such equipment and printing something this size with an online service would have been cost-prohibitive.
  • Solvent glue works great with PLA.
  • Makerware’s generated support is pretty good, but I could have saved myself a lot of time by modeling my own support for precarious overhangs and certain bridges. I had to throw away some prints and patch some gaps when Makerware’s support failed.